Creative Best Practices - 10 Tips for Better Creative
The renowned creative director Bill Bernbach once said, “100 years from now, the idea is still going to be more important than all the technology in the world.” Bernbach’s prophetic quote still rings true, as marketers rely on ideas and creative execution to break through the endless stream of clutter being generated and distributed across the ever-growing digital landscape. Here are a few quick tips and guiding principles to keep in mind when developing and producing breakthrough marketing content in the digital age, where the average person’s attention span is a mere 8 seconds (1 second less than a goldfish)...
- Brand early and use multiple brand cues.
- Make the brand the star, not an accessory.
- Show the product in use.
- Keep it simple. Only use 1 or 2 claims.
- Use a strong opening hook for video ads.
- Think billboard rather than print for display.
- Think silent movies for social feeds.
- Only use the time you need.
- Attention is more fleeting on mobile. Ensure the brand isn’t lost.
- Keep short and simple for smaller screens.
One final thought on judging an ad campaign and its creative execution: A great ad campaign should achieve the marketer’s business goals. Recall, engagement, likes, shares, and virality are important metrics when analyzing a campaign, but sales and conversions are the most critical factors in determining whether the campaign was a success or a failure.